Coburn Woods and Taylor Field

Skowhegan
358.0 acres

The five parcels that form this property are called the Coburn Woods in honor of Louise Helen Coburn, founder and first president of the Somerset Woods Trustees. Louise donated the original parcel in 1927. The property is mostly wooded and is highly visible to the public from a number of highly traveled and visited locations. Mature timber, early successional growth, riparian areas and vernal pools all provide diverse and essential habitat for many wildlife species. Trails have been cut throughout the property with a new parking lot on Russell Road. There is ample opportunity for walking, cross country skiing, snowshoeing and mountain biking. Coburn Woods was accepted in 2008 by Maine Audubon in its Community Forest Focus Species Program. Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife (MDIFW)'s Beginning with Habitat maps indicate important natural resources are present. A vernal pool has been identified.

The Richard C. Taylor and Catherine T. Taylor Field was purchased in 2012. The 22 acre field will be maintained as grassland bird nesting habitat and potentially milkweed stands cultivated for monarch butterflies. A few old apple trees have been pruned, rejuvenating the view from Norridgewock Road. Two acres are leased to the Maine Grain Alliance as an educational site for growing heritage grains for their ‘grow-out’ program.

 

Driving Directions

From the center of Skowhegan travel north on Madison Avenue (Route 201) about 0.8 miles; turn left onto Beech Street; and turn right onto Russell Road. The parking lot is on the left, about 0.6 miles north on Russell.

Latitude and Longitude: 44.781226, -69.741029